Slideshow

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's About[.com] Time!

So I am really here to write a post about running, but I am going to first take care of a tangential topic, starting with something that I used to consider to be a plague to the Internet: About.com. For years now I have continually run into About.com in my Googling, and no matter how many times I clicked on that link I found it to be a wasted click, my only solace coming from the knowledge that there is a fair chance that the About people had to pay for my click. The content was watered down and didn't answer my need. The advertising was over-abundant, over-bearing and under-relevant (yes, I just coined several new terms there. Use them free of charge.) I reached the point where I would check URLs in my searches and if the word "about" was anywhere to be seen I withheld my click.

Somehow, despite that history, I ran into the About.com running page (no pun intended) and for the first time I was satisfied. Ok, I was more than satisfied, I was excited, overjoyed, etc., etc. I found the information well targeted and concise and in short, exactly what I was looking for. Related information was linked to in intuitive ways, the answer to my next question at the bottom of every page. The ads were obviously labeled and relevant, which actually made some of them appealing (I can't even believe I said that.) Anyway, while I still can't endorse About.com in its entirety, I give a hearty hats-off to who-ever made that page happen.

So after that awesome introduction, here is a link to this topic on About. It isn't page that I like to start with, which is different for each person, but a general page on the topic of running for beginners (like me!): http://running.about.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment