Slideshow

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Jon Schmidt

Collin found this Utah-based piano-guy, Jon Schmidt a while back. I don't know how he heard about him, but he loved his stuff and worked his tail off to learn one of his songs. Over the last 6 months while Collin has worked on "Jon Schmidt" songs we went to a concert in Henderson where Jon performed, and have watched every you-tube video that mentions his name or his songs. I love to listen to Collin play, and especially when he is playing one of these songs, and I have found myself far away from my family, streaming music from Jon's website, and thinking about how it would be at home and hearing Collin play. Collin isn't a master of all of these songs yet, but he does pretty good, and he is learning what it is to have to perform them on stage. He makes a few more mistakes in front of an audience then he does at home, but I know that it is because he wants to do them as fast as Jon does. He is getting better all the time, and I am so proud of him. So I am going to post a video from a recent talent show. Taryn was making a fuss for part of the video, and Collin had to do his own page turning, as well as deal with nerves, so this is a little rough, but it is life.

4 comments:

  1. Holy moly! What a great job! We're definitely Jon Schmidt fans/household over here, having been to several of his concerts over the last decade. For Collin to be playing "All of Me" is big (and tough) stuff. Two thumbs way way up!

    You mentioned the YouTube videos--my favorite is the "Jon Schmidt - Love Story Meets Viva la Vida" one. Two great classics with the even more classic Schmidt twist. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments. I will make sure Collin reads them (yeah for positive reinforcement.) His new favorite song to play is Game Day, and I think he is getting Waterfall down too. So has anyone heard of Jason Lyle Black? He does a lot of mashups/parodies and has included some of these songs. If not, check out None of Me and Waterfall of Kolob on Youtube. Maybe I'll add a post with those two in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one other funny thing. You can tell that I was only half awake when I wrote this post. It sounds goofy. Yeah for layovers.

    ReplyDelete