Slideshow

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Monday, September 29, 2008

Family Reading Time

I just had a fond memory, and I thought, "I should write that down somewhere." This seemed like the best place to do that, so here I am. It is kind of mushy, especially as a follow-up to a response to an article about Google, so beware.

When I was little, I remember my mom reading to me all the time. Even well after the time when I could read myself, we would lie on her bed and she would read to my sister and I. I don't actually remember what she read, although I do remember that there were chapter books that would take days to finish, but I always thought that that was fun, and now that I look back on it, I think it helped me relax at night. I have a serious problem of not being able to go to sleep because my mind gets caught up on one topic or another. I also remember visiting my parents a year or two after getting married, and walking in to find my mom reading to my sister who was like a junior or senior in high school at the time. It may sound a little silly, but I think it just shows that reading is important in my family.

Recently I thought that I should read to my boys, and so when we were at the library I picked up a smaller kids chapter book (Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, it is a classic) and we spent a couple of nights reading it. It was fun for the boys, and although it did seem like one more thing to do at night, it was fun for me as well.

Anyway, that is my thought for the day, and now it is recorded for my posterity, yadda yadda yadda. If any of my siblings read this, I would be interested to know if you have any similar memories. Mom, if you want to validate or refute any facts here, feel free. We all tend to remember history the way we want to.

3 comments:

  1. That is interesting, it's true that we will all have our own memories of growing up. I don't remember that at all, or really being read too. I do love to read so I must have gotten it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to do that too when we were younger. She loves picture books though, so those were usually her choice. Books like "Whale Song" were my favorite because she could read them in the perfect voice.

    But you're right: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being in a family of teachers I was read to and read with my parents quite a bit. When dad couldn't see to read anymore we would read to him. I love to read now and wish I made more time for it. Trust me, I know enough teachers out there that they are ever grateful if you spend any time helping you children learn.

    ReplyDelete