Slideshow

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Friday, September 5, 2008

Football, Life, and Roots


I like sports. I just do. I am not a big sports fanatic, and I never feel like I have the time to follow a team for a whole season (except for the Diamondbacks in ’99 when they won the World Series), but I enjoy it when I can. I like playing sports, but similar to watching them I never seem to be available to play when people I know are playing. Obviously I need to practice better time management. That aside, I can honestly say that I have never been as excited for college football season as I am this season.

Last week we had family in town and I got to go to the BYU home opener against Northern Iowa. It should have been a blow-out from the first quarter, but for some reason the Cougs couldn’t get around to really finishing them off until the fourth quarter, and the 41-17 score doesn’t tell the story of the fumbles and long running plays that kept the game close until the last 12 minutes or so. It wasn’t the best game I have ever watched, but there was something perfect about being there, packed into my 18” square assigned space like a sardine and getting baked by the late summer sun. Honestly I couldn’t figure out what it was, but I enjoyed the game from the minute I walked up to the stadium to the minute I got into the car to go home.

Later it hit me as I reviewed the schedule and was lamenting my lack of tickets to the Homecoming Game vs New Mexico. I realized that I haven’t missed a BYU Homecoming game since I have lived in Utah. That is 4 years in a row, and now in the 5th year the tradition will be broken. The truth is that for a lot of reasons I like living here, and BYU, be it Football, Basketball, Volleyball, you name it, is a part of living here for me. I love a good football game as much as the next guy, but BYU Football is different. It is a part of where I live, and now it is a part of my history.

So as I am typing this I realized something else. Something awful has happened. I knew it would happen someday, but I always expected to have more say in the matter. It was supposed to be part of a master plan or something.

I have put down roots. Dang.

Oh well. We’ll see how that goes in the long run. Until then, Go Cougars!

4 comments:

  1. you are hilarious!! you never wanted to put down roots? utah is a great place to do it, if you have to somewhere. we wish we were still there every blistering hot day we live here!! it was great to hang out with you guys. come see us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the roots have been planted and are getting deeper everyday. I like living here too and BYU football is just apart of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right, enough talk about roots. It makes me uncomfortable.

    Thats it we are moving to Florida. I bet houses are cheap this weekend :)

    I just looked and DWorld is still open, despite the weather. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO COUGARS!! I just got home Sunday from the BYU Washington game. I about had a heart attack. Good thing I hauled "lucky blanket" all the way to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete