Slideshow

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Monday, September 15, 2008

More Politics . . .

Ok, so I have given up trying to merge the email and blog conversations, however, I am going to post my responses. I will keep my correspondants' thoughts private.

I don't think I am waiting for a perfect election or candidate. And I realize that our system is not perfect. My concern is that perhaps the system, election or candidate may not at all represent the values I want to represent. And yes, I think there are single issues that make the situation a no-go for me. For instance, if I had no other experience or history about Pres. Clinton, I would say that I absolutely do not want him as a president because he is an adulterer. I am not saying that he can't work out his own forgiveness or whatever else, but to me that rules him out as a leader of this country. Obviously millions of people disagreed with me, but that is just an example.

Every BYU undergrad student has to take a class called American Heritage, and it is generally taken your freshman year. They approached questions like mine in an auditorium setting and I remember the day they talked about the importance and role the two-party system played in our politics. They also showed videos of "democratic" proceedings in new democracies where the representatives ended up in fistfights in meetings and how the smallest percentage of the population could control the entire country. So I am not offering that as a solution. The BYU answer was that when either party strayed from its constituents, a third party would form and grow until it was big enough to get the respect of the larger party and pull it back the direction the constituents wanted, be it right or left.

That is one of those ideas that looks good on paper, but I don't know if it works in real life. What I see is a lot of people that go along with their party no matter what. It is almost a religious matter for some. If the people aren't keeping the party honest, then what keeps the party from controlling the people? And in either case, what keeps the party upper-crust from pre-selecting candidates? If the candidates are pre-chosen then why do we vote?

Don't get me wrong, I believe in democracy. I want to have a say in how the country is run. Right now I don't think I have a chance for meaningful input because I don't know who I am voting for. I don't trust the media. They have their own agendas from profits to political ties. I don't trust the campaigns, as they are obviously dis-incentivized to give objective information. As I have shared with some of you before, I took a marketing class where they showed how the public is manipulated in every election not by charismatic candidates, but by master marketers that control the emotions of the masses.

I think this is similar to economics. One of the few things I learned in my econ classes was that there is one big all-encompassing caveat to every theory held in the field of economics (at least that they taught me.) All of the equations, graphs, etc depended on the consumer having perfect knowledge of the product. Without that, there was no telling what the fickle consumer might do. How can I vote when I am constantly being fed skewed data?

For example, lets go back to Rush's website. Take a look around for about 30 seconds. just take in a few headlines, get the flavor of it. Then go to Micheal Moore's website and do the same. Do you see the similarity in writing style, design, etc.? Each trying to be a little funny while seriously attacking the opponent and defending their side. Granted, I like the content on Rush's website a lot more as a conservative, but that type of content does not inspire trust. Realistically, if one side can lie, why can't the other?

About our armed forces, I have a lot of respect for them, and I respect and feel gratitude for what they do. They allow us to have discussions like this. However, it seems to me that to vote just to vote is not honoring their sacrifice. If I risked my life to defend someones right to vote I would hope that they thought about what they were doing, and didn't just vote for someone because the guy on the radio or TV said they were good, or because they attended the right convention.

An obvious comment: It hasn't come up yet, so I'll bring it up. One strategy we can and should employ as church members is to pray and ask for wisdom and guidance in choosing who we vote for. This is a good plan. When Joseph Smith prayed with a similar question, asking which church to join (casting a vote through attendance perhaps?) he was told that he should attend none of them. He wasn't told that he should exercise his religious freedom by joining the one that was closest to the truth, but he was told to hold out and do what was necessary to promote the real truth. Do you think this is a possible answer in my situation (without meaning to sound presumptuous, of course)? That it might be better to not vote and continue studying the problem until I have a solution?

A parting thought to muddy the waters just a little more: We haven't mentioned it yet, but should it matter that no matter how I vote, or whether or not I vote, McCain is going to win Utah? I mean doesn't make the whole thing a little pointless?

As always, great conversation. This is very enlightening. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

(Nate, I read your comment. All I would add to the above is that my ego is apparent in my haughty expressions, sexy Walmart wardrobe and witty golf-course banter. Sorry, this is just a sincere question ;-) )

1 comment:

  1. Test post. I originally typed in a large witty comment the first attempt and then screwed it up, so forget that.

    Anthony, you're stubborn! And full of the idealism of youth. Not a problem, just make sure I am included in your will.

    ReplyDelete